Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grand opening of Magnolia Bakery on 49th!

Wow, can this be?! Magnolia Bakery is opening another location on 49th and 6th!

This is awesome because now I don't have to trek all the way to the West Village anymore. I have never been a sweets person, but living with my sweets-loving roommates has made me become more aware of the realm of desserts. I want to try the famous banana pudding at Magnolia Bakery!!!

Over the past two weeks, I have checked out cupcakes and other desserts at some stores. I visited Eleni's over at Chelsea Market on 9th Ave between 15th and 16th after my interview with Tod's for a PR internship. I loveee that area; the neighborhood is so crisp and fresh compared to the bustling and hustling nature of the inner city because it's closer to the Henry Hudson River. I love New York because of its multiple districts with such different atmospheres! Anyways, it was my first time at Chelsea Market, and it is the most adorable place ever! If only I lived closer around there because then I'd go there to shop for groceries and bread. Oh my goshhh, I'd just go for Amy's Bread alone. That bakery makes THE best bread everrrr. Wow.

Eleni's is good at catching the customer's attention thanks to its interior design. The layout is really sleek and simple with its white-washed walls and neatly laid out cupcakes on silver cupcake plates. The store really emphasizes its cupcakes as the main centerpiece for its interior design so naturally as soon as you walk in, you notice that first. Eleni's has a huge variety of cupcakes from the classics to specials like the peanut buttercup cupcake with chocolate buttercream icing. I bought two cupcakes: red velvet cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting and the peanut buttercup one of course. The cupcake's interior were moist and dense, providing ample taste from the vanilla flavoring of the yellow cake. The buttercream frosting, however, was the key point of Eleni's cupcakes. It was so rich in flavor but smooth at the same time. The frosting didn't feel too heavy at all but complemented well with the moist yellow cake.

I also checked out Macaron Cafe, thanks to the hearty recommendation from my roommate Grace =) I passed by it a couple times, but never actually went inside because it was always busy and I never craved anything sweet at that time. Located on W. 36th Street, this cafe specializes in selling the French dessert macaron. A macaron is a traditional French pastry made of buttercream frosting sandwiched between two layers of light, yet dense meringue-like cake. These French pastries were heavily advertised in Sofia Coppola's 2006 film Marie Antoinette.

I tried the rose-lychee macaron and it was such a remarkable tiny treat. The texture of the macaron was so interesting. It was light, yet when I bit into the meringue-like bread, it didn't crumble and fall apart, but stuck together. The cake was slightly dense and chewy, not at all what I expected, but it was a delightful surprise. The chewy texture along with the smooth buttery taste of actual rose and a tint of lychee made the dessert quite delicious. I definitely recommend everyone to check this place out.

And finally, I visited Billy's Bakery, another popular cupcake shop in the Chelsea district between 21st and 22nd on 9th Ave, last night. As soon as I entered the bakery, I was greeted with a blast of warm air and a yummy aroma of baked goods. I couldn't wait to check out the cupcakes and buy some! The bakery is small but in a good way; it makes the place feel a lot cozier. The interior design of the place reminds you of a home with its pale-yellow walls and pale green lining, and it gives off the impression of being really comforting. Billy's Bakery's cupcakes are enclosed in a glass case displayed by the side of the counter with a huge array of cakes and cookies on top. I was first surprised because I didn't see a huge range of cupcakes but I soon found out the specialty cupcakes are out in the back. Cute and neat, the cupcakes are all simple with enough frosting that also follow through with the scheme of the homey environment; they are covered in buttercream frostings in a light color-scheme palette. The only thing I didn't like about the bakery is that the cupcakes are on the pricier range; I bought three cupcakes and that cost me ten bucks! Still, with the cost comes also the satisfaction, so I guess I can say it's all worth it!

(ref: http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HIHIHI!!
haha i really want cupcakes nowww :( dangitt!
And thanks again for the billy's cupcakes~~ they were scrumptiousss