Monday, October 12, 2009

Quick meals for the week

Okay, I love to cook/ bake, but I often fall into the following categories: a. I get lazy; b. I get too tired to cook; or c. all of the above.

SO- in order to make this whole blog thing work, I decided to make my meals for the week all at once. Yup, that's right. In bulk. I'm genius, I know.

I made two staple dishes that would hopefully last me until Saturday, along with some other staples like yogurt and granola bars.

My first recipe is... tuna veggie tabbouleh. Alright, so the name doesn't make the dish sound so appetizing, but I swear it's a yummy and nutritious dish. Why? Tabbouleh is a popular Middle Eastern dish, whose ingredients include chopped parsley, bulgur, mint, tomato, onion, and other herbs. The bulgur in the dish adds a nutty flavor, and it is more nutritious than other grains like rice or couscous because it has more fiber and a lower glycemic index (how quickly glucose enters your bloodstream). I added tuna and lots of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, baby corn, carrots, and snow peas) into my version of tabbouleh to boost up the fiber and protein content even more. Talk about being healthy!

For my second dish, I kept it relatively simple. I made chicken and cabbage stirfry. This is really easy to make. Super duper simple. It's just chicken and cabbage stirfried in soysauce and cumin. I added cumin to kick up the flavor a bit more. I got my protein and simple carbs and fiber in this dish. Yum, yum, yum!

Now I'm all set for meals this week. I'm happy!

No comments: