Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Discipline leads to freedom!

If anyone knows me, you know that I love to talk about food. I seriously think, breathe, eat, etc. about food. It's good when you do it to a healthy extent, but bad when food consumes your whole entire life. I had a little issue last year... but I got over it slowly and surely. But, still, I think always coming back to New York makes me freak out a little again because I'm always so constantly aware I guess. Idk, but I guess you could say I relapsed a little. 

However, God is SOOO good. He definitely opened my eyes again. I listened to this sermon on Gluttony by this woman who attends Mark Driscoll's church, and wow, it was so directed toward people like ME. Gluttony is a sin!! I was letting food become my idol along with appearance and stuff... Here's the link: Mars Hill Church | Christian Womanhood in a Feminist Culture | Gluttony

Definitely check out the sermon because it is powerful. After listening to this sermon, I decided to fast on Sunday and juice fast on Monday just to ask God to remove my own impurities and to trust in God for strength and nourishment. And God definitely answers. He not only made me realize my own sin, but He has healed me to be satisfied in Him and Him alone... and not the pleasure I get from food. And I'm pulling an all nighter tonight so I wasn't sure if I was going to continue to fast on Tuesday because I originally said I'd do it for three days, but I was tired and I knew I needed to eat. I knew God was healing my heart, but I wanted a clear sign from Him that it was okay to break fast, and even something like that, God answered because literally, the next chapter I read in Nehemiah for my qt, it was about the people gathering to hear the Book of the Law of Moses, and this is what I read: "Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength'"(v. 10). How crazy right?! I was just like, "Are you serious... God is SOO crazy." The joy of God is my strength!!! Praise God! 

Oh yeah- and food picture updates of course are a MUST-
This is a Fat Mojo, one of the many fat sandwiches sold at the famous grease trucks at Rutgers University! It consists of french fries, mozzarella sticks, and chicken tenders on a roll with honey mustard sauce. It's really fatty, but quite satisfying, probably because it hits all the munchy cravings. I wouldn't recommend eating a whole one, but eating half was just fine =)

Here is a picture of the amazing moist honey corn bread that Monica made, and you can see a glimpse of my mexican blend cheesy quesadillas. Honestly, the quesadillas are so weaksauce compared to Monica's cornbread!!! They were so moist and flavorful with every bite you took!

This is Grace's shrimp spread- it was soooo good. This was definitely the main entree on the night of our junior gathering. She diced up shrimp, mixed in 2 containers of cream cheese with chives, and added in rice vinegar, sesame oil, rock salt, and pepper. Then add in lemon juice and zest for a final touch. Bake it at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, and voila~! This spread is so good with toasted bread. Yum!! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dang, that bible passage is crazy! remember when you wanted to stop reading nehemiah?! god works in awesome ways! go and enjoy choice foods and sweet drinks... lol so crazy. god bless on your fasting, i think i may have a few articles/sermons on that if you want :)

gh said...

you have to put in rice vinegar, sesame oil, rock salt, and pepper :) !!